123GuitarTabs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
123GuitarTabs.com

The Best Guitar Forum On The Web!

Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Guitartabz  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Well Then
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 am by BassXRocker

» What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:17 pm by Starom

» Band names that would never make it
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm by Starom

» Best, Good, Bad ( and maybe Worse)
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 12:18 pm by Starom

» Tab requests
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 8:52 pm by Buckethead

» Analog Recording
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 pm by Blackdog7

» what now?
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm by Blackdog7

» John Mayer
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 am by Blackdog7

» Simple Man intro
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:41 am by Blackdog7

Top posters
numberonejrio (373)
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_lcapFolk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Voting_barFolk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_rcap 
BassXRocker (294)
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_lcapFolk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Voting_barFolk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_rcap 
GuitarGod804 (239)
jimthams (231)
Buckethead (196)
Starom (182)
TheLonging (136)
Devil_panda (95)
Nizzi (62)
Blackdog7 (47)
Poll
Forums new look
Like it!
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_lcap43%Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Change back to the old style!
Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_lcap57%Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of 123guitartabs.com on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of 123GuitarTabs.com on your social bookmarking website
Tuner

Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?

Go down 
+3
Starom
GuitarGod804
Nizzi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nizzi
123 Newbie
Nizzi

Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Empty
PostSubject: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Anyone else here who likes bands such as Korpiklaani, Turisas, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Svartsot etc etc ??

I have a bit of a big obsession with this sub-genre of Music at the moment; I really like how 'Musical' it is. The bands mentioned above use instruments and techniques that aren't that typical of the Metal or Rock genres.

I hope I'm not the only one :/
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/evilnizzi
GuitarGod804
Admin
GuitarGod804

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:46 pm

cant say i have heard of them but its great to expose new unheard of groups here and to get reviews of them on the site.
Back to top Go down
https://tabs123guitar.forumotion.com
Starom
Starom

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm

I think my only problem with these bands is I find it hard to take them seriously... Some of them have some really great music but their image is often a little daft! XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/morats
Buckethead
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm

cheers

I was waiting, Nizzi.

I'm just into Ensiferum, Wintersun, (the old) Elvenking, and Korpiklaani.
Back to top Go down
Nizzi
123 Newbie
Nizzi

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 am

^ xD

To Starom, I don't think many of the bands take themselves too seriously either. It's a sort of tounge-in-cheek thing, I think. Daft image? Are you possibly meaning Turisas there? Razz

I think the image adds more enjoyment and atmosphere to the live shows. Many people dress up, you often look out of place if you don't, and I think it's a much more friendly atmosphere, in my experience. I hope I'm making sense.

The music means more to me than the image or lyrics though. I love the different timbre and effects from the different instruments used. With just guitars and drums and vocals, there's only so much you can do with each instrument and lots of bands sound too similiar.
I usually DESPISE the violin, but in bands like these I can love it. There's instruments used that come from the band's home countries that I would of never heard of until listening to them.
I also like how melodic and dance-y the music is Smile Embarassed

Whoops, I'm rambling.
Back to top Go down
Starom
Starom

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:39 am

XD I know what you mean about them being more unique - I certainly can't falter that! And yes, I do find Turisas a little over the top XD

Lyrics wise, though, I do find these bands a little lacking... As you said, it's tongue in cheek and often quite witty, but some of lyrics (namely those of Korpiklaani) do annoy me a little... XD

Althogh as I said, I do often love the musicianship of these bands! ^^ Particularly bands such as Finntroll, Tyr, Eluveitie and Ensiferum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/morats
Buckethead
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 am

Now that I'm thinking of this...

Doesn't Jari from Wintersun/formerly of Ensiferum have TB?
Back to top Go down
Nizzi
123 Newbie
Nizzi

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Starom wrote:
XD I know what you mean about them being more unique - I certainly can't falter that! And yes, I do find Turisas a little over the top XD

Lyrics wise, though, I do find these bands a little lacking... As you said, it's tongue in cheek and often quite witty, but some of lyrics (namely those of Korpiklaani) do annoy me a little... XD

Althogh as I said, I do often love the musicianship of these bands! ^^ Particularly bands such as Finntroll, Tyr, Eluveitie and Ensiferum Very Happy

Shocked Razz I guess Turisas do wear more 'warpaint' than the other bands, and it's a bit of a silly thing. However it looks very good on them Wink

"Happy little, happy little, happy little boozer!!" Like that? I see what you mean, also with 'Let's Drink'. Although I find them fun.

Ooh, Finntroll! They're the band that got me into this sub-genre of Music! I hated them at first, but then they grew on me until I was listening to them non-stop. If I owned an album by Finntroll, and didn't think Warlord of Turisas' voice incredibly sexy, I'd probably like them more than Turisas Smile

To Buckethead, I have no idea =S. Google it? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BassXRocker
Admin
BassXRocker

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm

well, i dont know any of those bands, but i consider dropkick murphys as a rock band, with a folk influences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarhero.thegamereviews.com/forums
Nizzi
123 Newbie
Nizzi

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 7:59 am

^ Ooh, do you have a link to a MySpace or Last.fm site?

I like non-Metal bands with Folk influences, such as Gogol Bordello and Kultur Shock, for the same reasons as I mentioned in my previous posts Smile
Back to top Go down
pro guitarist 1281
123 Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 am

Check out this video of Turisas... look what the drummer does at 1:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w
Back to top Go down
Blackdog7
123 Newbie
Blackdog7

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:17 am

YES! Eluveitie is the shit. I also like Folkearth, Korpiklaani, and Cruachan. I cant name more of the top of my head but I'm sure I've heard more
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?   Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody? Empty

Back to top Go down

Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal, anybody?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
123GuitarTabs.com :: Music :: Bands and Artist-
Jump to: